reality

>Have you ever seen a twin cam MGA advertised with a "late model MGB
engine"
>installed? It breaks a guys heart. Is this the future of collector
cars? Do
>you know how difficult it is to find quality Alfa's to begin with?
This type
>of Bastardization only makes it tougher. Don't we all laugh when the
Jag XJ
>rolls buy with an American V8 replacing it's V12? What is the world
coming to?
>If you want a car with a V8, Rotary, Buick V6, then buy a car that
came with
>it. Heck, there are plenty of Vegas and Mavericks left if you want
light
>weight and a V8 on a budget.

>I suppose I will get flamed to death but someone has to stop the
madness.
>Amen  Brothers,
>Todd
Please don't consider this a flame. I agree with you in theory . Pure
and original is ideal . Many cars will never come this way again and
great engineering does not seem to mean mass production. But reality
is that purism is a rich mans sport after a point. Things like MINI's
and Bugeye even Spiders and Montreals are restorable with time and
money, but if you want to drive it and it suddenly breaks or needs a
great deal of workthen you have to decide the value of that vehicle to
you. Value not just in money terms but enjoyment and fun. A Jaguar
with a V8 is a bastard child and there is no consistency from one to
another but they are a kick to drive and stone simple to maintain
engine wise. Have you any idea what it cost to pay a mechanic ,who
know what he is doing, to replace the timing chain tensioner on a
Jaguar V12? Have you heard one running that has a defective one? And I
know of shops that simply will not do that kind of work no matter how
much you will pay.I know how they end up with V8s. Unfortunately that
is the driving force ,,,,,cost, and time/enjoyment. If you had an old
Spider with a blown or very tired motor and generally tired chassis
and you were looking at $5000 cash and a lot of hours to create a car
worth $4000.00  or you stuffed a 240z motor in it for $1500 dollars
went out and had some fun and then donated it to charity for and
auction and took a $4000 write off,,,,,,,,,,,,,which way would you go?
I don't think the next couple of generations are developing the
passion for autos that ours and previous generations had. I think that
cars are more likely then ever to be viewed as junk and disposable.
Almost every one I know interested in classic cars is also a classic
human. When I run adds for my Alfa ,,older people answer them. We are
dinosaurs and we are surrounded by pretty junk....go ahead have some
fun

Tom Baumen