re: Alfa ute- 24V vs. 12V 164

I have the 24V 164Q, but I have never owned a 12V, so
here are my one sided observations:

Direct ignition ok, takes the fun of getting hot wires
away, plugs are more difficult to get to, and quite
expensive.

Gearbox- ?, but I still get a stiff 2nd gear when the
car is cold.

Seat motors- never any problems, they are supposed to
have been updated. Same inoperable seat heater issue,
if the cars in oz have those.

Steppers- I was discussing this with the NJ AROC
chapter President last week, he says they were updated
in the 24V cars. I hear the gears groaning behind the
panel, but all HVAC functions work fine. I inquired
about this a short time ago on the digest, but got no
response. I did notice a fellow in AU just had brass
replacement gears made for the steppers, and is selling
them on the Internet.

The HVAC and clock LED's on the center panel are
problem areas. Many begin to lose LED segments. The
panel is $1600 US to replace, and I doubt Alfa sells
very many out of warranty. Mine is difficult to
decipher and I just live with it.

Q has the adjustable suspension. Soft is seasickness
mode, firm is really nice, surprisingly limited body
roll compared to a stock 164.

Racks- I'd be interested to hear longevity reports on
the rack as well. Mine is original, the PS lines have
all given up the ghost already.

Timing belt somewhat more difficult to change, and the
24V's are said to enjoy lunching on a timing belt if it
is well seasoned enough.

Good source of info on other [and wiser] owners
observations is the 164 home page and discussion forum
/alfa/FAQ/164

dave s.
95 164Q
83 Aston Martin Lagonda