Re: Gas odors

Ferdinando Di Matteo <ferdinando.di@domain.elided> wrote:

>Godfrey, the implosion  you had of the gas tank was caused by the plastic
>check valve being stuck shut and not allowing air to enter the tank as you
>burned gasoline.   The most simple solution would be for you to put in a
new
>check valve which will not allow vapors to enter the atmosphere.  Every
time
>you gassed up you got an inrush of air whenever you unscrewed the gas cap.
>That was the tipoff for you to investigate and prevent the implosion.
>Another check valve that occasionally sticks causes a pressure buildup
which
>creates a very dangerous condition.   That's the metal check valve just
>abouve the plastic one.   Re-routing the hose is not a good idea.

This thread has got me a little worried now.  Ever since I got it, my 164
has occasionally made a brief whining sound from the boot (trunk) area.  I
asked one of the local dealers about it and they said it was caused by a
sticky valve in the vapour recirculation system.  They also said don't
bother fixing it, it'll just happen again.  I can live with the noise (hell
I can't hear it with the sunroof open and either the engine or the stereo on
full song), but I'm worried that I've been given bad advice now.  I haven't
noticed any release of pressure when removing the filler cap, so perhaps
it's not that bad on mine.

Which valve is it, how expensive is it, how easy is it to replace?  Is it on
the canister in the boot (trunk) or under the bonnet (hood)?  From memory
the CarDisc shows a valve somewhere in the engine bay.  Having said that,
this is emissions related equipment so the CarDisc, which covers US and
Canadian cars, may not show the exact system fitted to my UK car.  I seem to
remember the diagram shows two plastic thingummies, a separator and the
charcoal canister.  I've only ever seen one in my car, but then I haven't
fully stripped the trim out of the boot yet.  Can anyone shed any light?

Cheers,

Jonathan

- --
Jonathan Wolff <jon@domain.elided>