164 Cooling Problem

Ascher wrote: while driving at highway speeds the temp gauge went off the
scale (225-250 deg neighborhood) and the overheat warning lamp came on; as i
was pulling over the low coolant lamp came on.  the result: out of coolant.
i let it cool down a bit, drove to the nearest gas station, and filled up
the tank.
i continued driving, and temp fell, stayed put for a few minutes, and then
rose quickly.  i pulled over and most of the fluid had leaked out.  i let it
cool down again and drove on.
since then i've had no problems (been watching temp gauge like a hawk), with
the exception of the temp rising to the 200-215 mark while idling (the fan
then kicked on in stage two).  i began driving and temp fell to normal
levels:  this doesn't really seem out of the ordinary, as i can recall.
there are no signs of leaks that i can see, except for some antifreeze
sitting in a small, recessed area, of the outside of the reservoir.
Ascher, I don't know about the overheating part of your problem, but I had
the same mysterious coolant lose problem with my 164. It seems the seal on
my plastic coolant tank cap was leaking, depressurizing the system. This
caused the coolant to surge through the tank and dump in my driveway. A new
cap relived the problem.

Rich Lasner
92 164S
Mill Valley CA