Re: Help with '83 Spider Handling

It sounds like you needed more than just a front end alignment. There are
a lot of things to look at and determine if they are in good condition or
not.

Front end:
tie rod ends, ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, idler arm
bushings, steering box adjustment, forward control arm bushing, wheel
bearings. Once you're sure all the parts are in good order, then you know
you can have an alignment done that will return performance value. I have
the adjustable upper control arms and set mine up with 1/32" toe in, 1
degree of negative camber and as much negative caster as possible (about
2.5 degrees on my car, it seems to be a little different on every car due
to clearances in the front suspension parts).

Rear end:
The lower control arm bushings are usually the first to give a problem,
when they get loose the car can wander all over the road. The upper
trunion bushings are similarly essential to stability. Again be sure the
bearings, bump stops and limit straps are all in order.

If your springs are sacked out at either front or rear, they should simply
be replaced. And I use Koni Reds, set at full soft in the rear and 50-70%
hard in the front.

Godfrey