thanks for the 164 commut/iseration

Sincere thanks to all who responded on the 164 commuter issue.

Surprisingly, the consensus was anything but...

The single/ I wear the pants in the family/ masochistic?/ crowd all
replied "get another Alfa." Sort of where I'm leaning, although another
164 would be too much of the same. Perhaps a Verde or a Spider for the
sunny days. After all, despite all the sunny day driver suggestions, a
front drive 164 makes a wonderful winter car [yes it's dumb to put
Pirelli 215/45/17 snow tires on the car, but entertaining nonetheless].
I wonder if a '65 GTC is a practical daily driver???

And yes Jonathan Coates, you are correct I'd probably wrap any japanese
car around a tree on the first off ramp, although not for handling
reasons as you say, but rather while attempting to operate the Nav
system/ Steering mounted stereo/ voice activated bun warmer options.
Truth be told, as nice as multiple Alfa daily drivers sounds, here in
the US, practical daily driver Alfas will unfortunately only diminish
with time.

The stable/ happily married/ "had to make the same tough decision once"
crowd suggested an assortment of German cars all much more enticing as
commuter cars, but i'll be d...... if any will ever feel like a "Baby
Ferrari."

Wonderful idea, Doug,  to commute in the Lagonda. 10 MPG and 8 MPER
[miles per electrical relay] make for a sensible daily driver indeed
:-)

Of course as others pointed out 3k mi synthetic oil changes and vigilant
maintenance make for a better 200k mile Alfa than a 60k mile 164 driven
hard and put away wet .

Realizing that Alfa's return and the option of a 156 company car are as
likely as a 456GT daily driver in this lifetime...

thanks,
dave s.