Alfa Romeo Concours d'Elegance

The Alfa Romeo Association will be holding its annual club concours on
Sunday, =

June 20th in conjunction with the Palo Alto Concours d' Elegance. A
traditionally =

large, varied, and high quality field of historic automobiles has earned
Palo Alto =

the reputation as "The Best Concours North of Pebble Beach". Held annuall=
y =

since 1967, the Concours has in recent years included special displays of=
 =

Porsches and Ferraris. This year's featured Marque is Packard, and there =

promises to be a strong showing from the Cadillac club, also.

Cars on display typically range from Brass Era through the contemporary;
with =

cycles and alternative power vehicles as special displays. It's fun to pl=
ay

"comparative anatomy" between the different makes, especially when there
are =

lots of Alfas around to show the rest of them how it's done!

The Alfa Romeo Association will be holding its club concours on a grass
field near =

the main field, but away from the eucalyptus groves; which had been an
issue in the =

past. We will be competing for space with the Cadillac club, so it will b=
important for =

participants to register early, to guaranty reserved space! =

For the early birds we will have coffee and donuts in the morning, and fo=
the sun baked =

and sore footed in the afternoon, we'll have a club tent, tables and
chairs.

To help participants get their Alfas looking their best, there will be a
pre-event =

demonstration of auto detailing by Jeff Brown, Area Sales Manager for the=

Maguire's =

line of car care products. This event will be hosted by the Blackhawk
Museum on =

May 15th.  Having been a concours judge for a number of years, I've notic=
ed
there =

seems to be a lot of mystery and imagination about how cars are judged at=

concours. =

To help dispel the myths, a brief primer on the ARA's judging rules, regs=
,
and etiquette =

will be provided.

We are particularly interested in getting out early, unusual, special
bodied, and race =

prepared cars in addition to a representative sampling of series producti=
on
cars. Since =

many Alfas have been modified through the years for competition and to
enhance street =

performance, production cars need not be strictly original, Modifications=

will be judged =

for appropriateness and for quality of execution. Interesting original ca=
rs
need not be 100 =

point restored. "Display only" status will be encouraged for those not
wishing their cars to =

be judged. =

Those interested in participating in the club concours should contact me.=

Entry forms will be =

provided in upcoming ARA newsletters, and will be made available at month=
ly
meetings. I =

would encourage those interested in the Maguiar's event at Blackhawk to
contact me, also, =

though event information can be had directly through the Blackhawk Museum=

.
Contact information:    Ron Horowitz
                707.557.0928
                ronhorowitz@domain.elided