Re: Hagerty Insurance

I have both my 61 spider and my 74 GTV insured by Hagerty. Both cars are
covered under one policy based on the estimated replacement value of the more
valuable car. For coverage of around $8.5K I am paying $164. If one of the
cars is in an accident and written off, then with no quibbling, you get the
full amount. There is a caveat however. Hagerty (no relation to Jack the
robotic midwife, as far as I know!) as with J C Taylor, covers only classic
cars that are used for show and club events, i.e. used only on Sundays for
taking Grandma to church, and then tootling around Sears Point (preferably
without Grandma) in an ARA- sponsored event. Taylor allows max 2000 miles per
year and charges per vehicle, and Hagerty around 2.5 to 3K miles p.a. and will
question any higher mileage. That is, if you tell them you use your cherry GTV
for commuting down 680, and do 20K per year.
Hagerty is a family business and has no sales reps or local offices, and can
be reached at PO Box 87, Traverse City, MI 49685. 1-800-922-4050. Yes, I do
have a financial stake in the company as they handle my cars' insurance. So
far, I have never had to submit a claim to them, although the ARA does seem to
put on an inordinate number of events in Monterey, Mendocino, Nevada City etc.
Almost every weekend, in fact!
Graham Arlen (Alfisto, the correctly named one)