rear sping removal '84 spider

I have to remove the rear springs of my 1984 Spider, because one is =
broken. According to the manuals a special tool is required to be able =
to remove the bolt which is connecting the suspension arm to the rear =
axle bracket.
Is there a save way to do this without this tool? Can I just push up the =
suspension arm with a jack untill the bolt can be removed and then lower =
the suspession arm to release the spring pressure, with the car =
supported on axle stands under the jacking points?

Peter Luxwolda
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

1984 Spider
1992 164 TS