Re: alfa-digest V7 #568

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Mark Battley wrote:

I took an on board data logger to Laguna Seca for the weekend and
recorded
minute by minute data from thermocouples attached to all four calipers.
The
short story for a GTV6.....Its all in the
rears
******************
FWIW: A number of years ago I was at Willow Springs. A fellow had been
having the same brake problems on his GTV-6 as is being discussed. He
was an engineer and hooked up thermocouples to each of the calipers and
got a separate reading from each. How hard he was driving, I don't have
a clue. His consensus was that the fronts and the left (driver's side,
US) was fine. However the right rear was overheating badly because of
its proximity to the exhaust pipe.

He planned to wrap them in the same, for want of a better name, manifold
wrap. Next time we talked, he said his brakes were 100% better. It was
also a street car and I'm sure if someone has an all-out GTV-6 or
4-cylinder Alfetta, ducting to the rears would certainly be a good idea.

I'm not a racer but  have wrapped the exhaust near the rt. rear caliper
on my own Alfetta and have done the same for a number of customer's
Alfas where the exhaust is close to the caliper. Even if not raced, it
should make the caliper live longer.

Biba
Irwindale CA
AlfaCyberSite http://home.earthlink.net/~biba/