re: 92 spider starting problems

sean writes:

>My '92 1.6 Spider sometimes does not start. All auxillary functions work,
>like radio, lights etc, but the ignitioon is completley dead. I am not sure
>if it is electrical or otherwise.

does it crank at all? do you hear the fuel pump buzzing? need more details.
I would guess that if nothing happens when you turn the key, it is probably
worn contacts in the ignition switch. you are likely to have the same
supplier for the switch as our 2 litter US spiders. see if it starts when
you hot-wire it (make sure to park the car in front of a local police
station when you do this). There is also the starter solenoid. It makes a
clicking noise when you try to start the engine and it is bad. It went bad
on mine (it is the large bullet-shape thing on top of the starter housing, a
couple of leads connecting to the back). Another culprit could be this relay
(?) on the firewall (mine is sort of on the side, I think). It is wired in
close to the coil. See your wiring diagram (on the CarDisc).
it is somewhere to start...

thx
luke