re: 164 gas door

My gas door stopped opening, too.  The first time it was due to the cheap
plastic hinge breaking.  Bought a new door (unpainted black plastic) and
had it painted to match when other bodywork was done.  Occasionally, the
coil spring which pops the door open comes unseated.  It's relatively easy
to push back in place.  In the meantime, a credit card slipped behind the
door before pushing the button will spring it open without requiring
another person to help.

One of those little, but salient, items that seems trivial to me but would
generate complete condemnation from the average American consumer...

Robert Hardwick, Seattle
'91 164B