155 Silverstone

In AD7-555 Dr M.G. Salter writes "I have a friend with a 1993 155 Silverstone
model. There are two questions. Firstly she has been told its a Siverstone but
there arent actually any signs to say this anywhere, but it has got a high
spec with unique wheels and half leather seats. Is there anyone who knows what
the true Silverstoone is? Secondly, is this car the fore-runner to the wide
body models which are apparenttly much better to drive. I drove this one and
must say it handles quite well. It does look like a wide body but I always
think it is difficult to tell unless you get two together."

The well-illustrated road-test which I have on the new 155 Silverstone is in
an April 1994 magazine, which could raise doubts about a 1993 155 Silverstone.
The right corner of the trunk (boot) bears the word "Silverstone" in black
block letters with chrome rims, superimposed on a stretched "S" in chrome.
Seats have leather bolsters with a very prominent white-on-black grid weave in
the centers.

Notes from a report I wrote for our local AROC chapter say "In anticipation of
this year's British Touring Car Championship Alfa has built 2,500
'Silverstone' variants of the 155, largely to homologate aerodynamic add-ons
which Alfa wished to use on the BTTC cars- a deeper, adjustable, front dam and
larger rear wing with spacers to allow different wing settings for different
tracks. Other than that, it has serious 205/50-15 tires on 6-1/2' rims,
anatomically supportive seating reminiscent of the verde, a very sober and
attractive interior, no brightwork at all on the exterior except the trunk
badging, and a 129 hp variant of the Twin Spark engine, 1.8 liters and 10-1
compression ratio, all in the Alfa variant of the Fiat 'Tipo' shell and
floorpan"

Hope that helps, without causing too much dismay.

Cordially,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C. USA