Re: '81 Alfa GTV6 2.5 info needed

<< << ... what should I look for?  I'm a Fiat nut, and found
this car in my
travels.  The guy is asking $1300.  Is that reasonable?
Thanks, >> >>

<<Coming from a Fiat guy the first answer is obvious, RUST.
If it is rust free,
especially behind the wheel openings and inner front
fenders,>>

<< John Katos >>

Don't worry too much about the rust...they all seem to do
it. If she runs strong, buy it and enjoy it. My advice is to
buy it and run it until it dies (which will be a lot longer
than you think.) If your plans are to restore it to
perfection, it will be for only your own pride 'cause you'll
never sell it for what you'll put into it.

Problems you'll likely find on the car:

- - Failing 'guibos' (flex joints in the drive line). You'll
hear a knocking sound from the hump or perhaps experience
some profound vibration. These rubber parts have a limited
life-span and must be replaced periodically. It's an
unpleasant but well-documented procedure that's
time-consuming, the parts aren't too steep but if you're not
doing the work yourself the labor will cost you dear.

- - Sloppy shifting. They came from the factory like
that...adjust your shifting technique.

- - Oil leaks from the valve covers. An Alfa hallmark, no
biggy.

- - Inop or jittery speedo. The 'electronic' sender can be
flaky but there's way to fix without replacement.

Check http://www.gtv6.org for an idea of what can go wrong
and how to fix it.

You're tapped into a great resource here for learning all
about how to keep it going, keep reading the Digest.

- - Eric H.