Re: GTV6 side mirrors

In AD-552 Tim Carrico wrote:

> Is there a connector in the door cavity to check? How do I get to it?
> There is nothing in the GTV6 manual or CarDisc about removing interior
> door panels and trim and I am loath to take a chance on ruining
> something by forcing the issue.

The following is all based on my experience with my 1982 GTV6.  If it is not
applicable to your '86, then I apologize for the bandwidth waste.  I would
start with r.m.bies' suggestion of testing inside the mirror.  If voltage is
not arriving there but is present at the switch, then you may need to open up
the door.

There is a connector inside the door for the power mirror, actually I think
there are two for some reason.  They are clipped to the inner door panel behind
the trim.  The trim panel is not hard to remove.  The armrest is held on by 3
screws, all hidden behind various plastic inserts which must be gently pried
out to avoid scratching the soft plastic.  One of the screws on my car was
seized, so I had to drill the head off.  There are something like 9 screws with
trim collars holding on the trim panel, around the outside but none on the top
where the chrome strip is.  You must unscrew the lock knob but you don't need
to remove the inside door handle.  The handle may have a plastic trim ring
around it, don't recall if this has to come off or stays with the panel.  Once
everything is undone, you should be able to pull the panel away from the door
at the bottom and then lift up the top, which hooks over a metal lip.  Don't
force it if not - you probably missed a screw somewhere if it won't move.
 Hopefully I didn't miss something out here, and also remember I'm talking
about an '82.

Once inside the door, you can find 3 connectors clipped in place.  One is for
the power window motor.  The other 2 supply harnesses that go up inside the
door and feed the mirror through the mount.  Once you have got this far, It
would be pretty easy to remove the whole mirror assembly, since it is just
bolted to 3 captive nuts with 3 hex-head bolts (don't lose the rubber seal on
each bolt).  Then it is a matter of gently feeding the harnesses out through
the hole in the door.  You might also want to check the harnesses where they
pass from the door from the pillar, since they could have become pinched if the
shroud is broken.

Good luck,

Dave J.
1982 GTV6