Re: steering wheel rnr/ign sw rnr

>David relates a common tale of steering wheel woe and asks:
>I am curious to know if others have had as much trouble as I had removing the
>steering wheel from my GTV6.
While I have no personal experience pulling steering wheels I do recall what
folks here on the digest say is the key to success-  once you have the
puller torqued don't keep cranking the puller to pull the wheel.  Instead
whack the shaft of the puller with a hammer and off it should come.  Like I
said I've never done it so take this advice for what it's worth.

and on the ignition switch:
>Related questions: I don't really need to pull the ignition lock this time, but
>no doubt I will some day.  How is this done?  There seems to be a giant rivit
>or headless bolt at the bottom, would drilling this out allow removal, or is
>there more to it?

That headless bolt is exactly that.  Just use a punch or sharp screwdriver
and hammer to turn the bolt.  On my car once I broke it loose it was easy to
spin it out by hand, and it was quite easy to break loose also.  You can use
a cutoff bit to cut a screwdriver slot in the head also.

I guess I'm the hammer mechanic,

Chris Lesher
Boulder CO