Coolant Temp Light

Are you confusing the coolant level (orange/yellow) with coolant temp (red)
light. The coolant level sensor (the one in the top of the coolant tank)
regularly fails - as described on this list. The sensor is just a float
which gets stuck in the down position. Use of a cork improves buoyancy
sufficiently to get it working again. The warning does come on when the tank
is still fairly full - try topping it up.

Rich McLachlan
1989 164 3.0

The high coolant temperature light comes on after about 5 minutes and
generally stays on even though the engine temperature sits a steady 75
degrees C, with no steam and the engine fans does not cut in.

Coolant level is okay.

I assume the coolant temperature sensor goes into the top of the coolant
expansion tank ?

I have to do 50 miles on Tuesday, so can somebody get back to me on Monday ?

Regards
David Hanley
'94 164 TS