Spider Water Pump Done; On To Clutch Slave Cylinder

Thanks to all Digesti who provided technical advice and encouragement on my
recent Spider water pump project (which is now happily completed). The last
wrinkle was, after having reassembled everything, filling with fresh coolant
and distilled H2O, and starting her up, a terrible clatter ensued -- turns
out the fan blades were hitting the lower arc of the fan shroud. Took
everything apart again, zipped out the offending part of the shroud with the
trusty Dremel Moto-Tool, made a foil patch for the hole in the shroud,
reassembled, and -- voila -- it all works with no clatter. Actually, I saw
that the previous owner had the same problem with fan clatter, judging by
the scuffing on the lower arc of the old shroud -- he "solved" the problem
by breaking the old shroud.

Anyway, the next job is replacement of a badly leaking clutch slave
cylinder. Can anyone give me insight into removing the thing? Specifically,
how do you remove the "retaining rings" that hold the cylinder to the
bellhousing? They look like regular circlips, but it's tough to tell for
sure.

Thanks for any and all help -- you guys (and women) are wonderful!

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA
'88 Spider Graduate
(If one really can learn from one's mechanical mistakes, I should be a
genius by now)