Transaxle clutches - two types?

Having had the recent opportunity to look under a 3 litre 75 (Milano) I
was struck by the position of the clutch slave cylinder. On the V6 the
cylinder is behind the clutch plate, whereas I was sure that mine is in
front.
I have looked at the manuals and the Milano/75 cardisk shows it behind,
while the Alfetta manual (paper) shows it to be in front. Also the
operation of the clutch assembly seems different, the front cylinder
pressing the diaphragm spring towards the front of the car and the rear
cylinder pulling the spring towards the rear of the car.
I asume that my 75 twinspark has the original system as I replaced the
clutch and it works fine. If the operation had been reversed because
somebody had retrofitted an Alfetta unit I think it wouldnt have worked.
OK Gurus, grasshoppers et al, why is there a difference, is it an engine
size thing? Would the "other" type fit if I got hold of a good gearbox?
- --
jonathan coates