P.S.B.S.

bs,

The factory designated jacking points are the best place from which to lift
and jack the car.  Since they are unavailable for jack standing when used as a
lifting point, I use the differential to lift the rear, and the front cross
member for the front.

If the car has lived in benign climes the entire bottom of the rocker panel is
usually strong enough to lift from.  I don't like to do that on nice cars
though since any accident will cause cosmetic problems.  Rust buckets are best
lifted from the suspension mounting points on what remains of the body.

I usually put a piece of hardwood between the jack and the car.

Never, ever work on a car that has not been placed securely on jackstands.

Bill