Re: Information Flexing

You GO, Oscar! Sometimes the technical one-upmanship is
intense, true. I'm new to the digest myself, but a 14-year
Alfa veteran and this sort of thing is what made me stop
paying my AROC dues. Sadly enough, I've been guilty of doing
it too.

I recall your inquiry about jacking points. I never
replied/posted because it's been something like 10 years
since I owned a Spider and my only response would have been
'look in the manual...my GTV6 manual shows the points for my
model.' But that would have been flippant -- not to mention
that the Owner's Manuals seem to disappear from most
second-hand cars. To be quite honest, I've applied the jack
to whatever under-car surface looks sturdy. Surprisingly,
the rectangular 'official' lift points seem to hold up well
when used with a hydraulic floor jack. Frame members also
serve well. (Don't tell anyone and don't try this at home:
recently I lifted the car to change the tire after the
accident by using placing the cup of my floor jack on one of
the anti-roll bar mounts on my lowered GTV6. It did not
buckle or seem to cause damage in any way.)

My past performance here on the Digest shows no hesitancy
when it comes to responses on subjects I have a clue about.
I try not to respond to things I have no direct experience
with, though. When I got my first Alfa, Internet e-mail was
reserved for colleges and the military...what a wonderful
resource this is!

- - Eric H. (that's Hambleton for Mr. Z), Clearwater, FL
1983 GTV6 who is patiently waiting for me to install a new
steering rack in her