towing

I have used nothing but tow dollies (U-haul) to tow my Alfas (and friends) and
have never once had a problem nor scraped any exhaust on the ground.  If your
exhaust is hitting the ground you have incorrectly installed your exhaust and
or your spings/shocks are in dire need of replacment - and/or you overloaded
the trunk with stuff bottoming out the springs.

Here is what I've towed:

4 Alfa spiders (one with cut rear springs and dual tip Ansa exhaust) - more
than 600 miles of towing - no problems
4 Alfettas - more that 1,000 miles of towing - no problems
2 Alfa GTVs - more than 1,500 miles of towing - no problems

Unless U-haul and Ryder policies vary by location - neither company will rent
a faltbed (car-transport) to you unless you pull it with one of their rental
trucks - I've tried to rent them to pull with my vehicle - they did about 10
years ago before they got safety conscious.

U-haul requires that the weight of the vehicle being towed + the weight of the
tow dolly/trailer is less than or equal to the weight of the towing vehicle
less 500 lbs, if this is not the case - they will not rent you any equipment.
When you tell them you are towing an Alfa Romeo most places haven't a clue how
to figure out the weight (it doesn't matter if you know the weight or if it is
stamped on the door jamb - they have to have it in their book -  no weight =
no equipment.

Ben Higgins
Galveston, Texas