Injection History and Lucas Alfas

In an earlier mail I suggested that Ferrari's use of fuel injection
in the 330 P3 (in 1966 - maybe earlier in other models?) could have
influenced Alfa Romeo to do the same. I was only joking about the
idea of "Lucas Alfas".

> From: Matthew Killick <m.killick@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: Injection History
>
> While on the subject of Lucas fuel injection (and ignition), don't forget
> that it was fitted on the obscure and marginally successful Cosworth DFV.
> It's a wonder any of them managed to limp to the grid, let alone winning,
> let's see......  How many F1 races between 1967 and 1983?

I must admit I had forgot about the Cosworth DFV (and I guess the
4 cylinder Cosworth FVA too?).

So I picked the nearest F1 book "The Complete History of Grand Prix
Motor Racing" [United Kingdom Edition - ISBN 0 947981 50 0] and found
the following statement in the section for the 1970 year:

"By 1970 cylinder heads with four valves per cylinder and Lucas
fuel injection systems were common to all Formula One engines."

A list of engines followed; Ferrari, Matra, BRM, Ford Cosworth and
Alfa Romeo 33.3: 90 degrees V8, 86 x 64.4mm, 2993cc, 424bhp at
9600rpm.

It seems these were used in the Maclaren M7D-Alfa (the Cosworth
version was the Maclaren M7A-Ford) during 1970. In 1971, the Alfa
V8 was used in the March 711. No mention wss made of the type of
Injection system used for the 1971 year.

So it seems there really were "Lucas Alfa" engines, at least
if this book is to be believed.

Does anyone else have any information on these. Was the Lucas
injection used on all the Alfa V8 F1 engines of that era, or did
some use Spica?

What about the Tipo 33 sports racers? I thought they used Spica?
Did some of the Tipo 33 models use Lucas Injection too?

In any case, it seems that the Alfa V8 was rather more successful
in sports car racing than Formula One.

Best Regards
Alex Jenner
1980 Alfasud Sprint Veloce 1.5