Re: Injection History

From: estorhok@domain.elided

Eric, I really enjoyed this. A couple of comments:

>And then there were 3... SPICA, Bosch, and what BMW used (I can't
>recall the name right now, and I am too lazy too look it up..).

Kugelfisher, I believe. Wasn't it also used on some early Porsche
(912?) models?

>Surprised the Alfa Romeo made thier own EFI?  Some of you AROC USA members
>will remember Fred D's articles, well perhaps correspondence with Alfa
>concering this- For more info read SAE paper 850290...Remember the
>caddy' 4-6-8? Alfa did it too, but with some pretty sweet electronics
>where the driver might not have noticed what was going on...

I didn't quite follow this. Do you mean that Alfa designed their own
EFI system but decided to go with Bosch rather than put it into production?
Or did they influence some of the later Bosch Jetronic designs?

>if Alfa actually put this into production in '85, then they would be
>one of the world leaders in EFI right now.

I have nothing but respect for Italian mechanical design, but somehow
their grasp of electronic design and manufacturing (Olivetti aside) has
left me a bit cool. I think they made the right choice.

- - Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |                                             |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |    "What luck for leaders that men          |
| Livermore, CA		      |    do not think.  The winner is never       |
| jack@domain.elided   |    asked if he lied." - Adolph Hitler       |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |                                             |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |