115 GTV interior door handle shaft lengths?

Does anyone know if two lengths of interior door handle shafts were
available for the 115 series GTV?  My driver's interior door handle has
always been pushed about 1/4" into the door, so you can't get your
fingers behind it.  Passenger one is OK.  I'm reupholstering the
interior now, and don't want to screw up the new door panels.  The IAP
catalog shows two different shaft lengths for the window cranks (8mm
difference), so maybe door handle shafts had a similar change?  I was
given a spare shaft and latch mechanism with the car (passenger door,
tho'), so I know someone in the past has fiddled around with the doors
of the car, so I'm suspicious.  Would APE be the best place to search
for a longer one if it exists?

      Jeff Matson
      Harvard, MA
      '74 GTV 2000