Re: yup, more Spica vs Weber stuff - c'mon beats tunnel slap crap

*****************
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 13:15:11 -0500
>From: Ferdinando Di Matteo <ferdinando.di@domain.elided>
>Subject: RE: More Spica

>Bibba, I'd almost bet you could guess at what my comments would be
>regarding the Spica issue.  In every single case of malfunctions and
>breakdowns of the Spica system, the cause is due to improper
maintenance by
>the owner or the lousy service - mechanic provider.   Fred Di Matteo
Fort
>Myers, Florida
*******************

Okay, Freddy Di, you went public with your comment, here is/was my
(formally private) reply:

Fred, perhaps you might have noted, I'm having a little fun here.

On a more candid note, I simply prefer both the visual and mechanical
simplicity of Webers. I'm also old enough to have grown up in an era
when, for instance, if a car wouldn't start it was almost always a fuel
delivery problem or an ignition problem.

With my, admittedly backward thinking, by using Webers (or other
side-drafts), you eliminate a number of "potential" problem areas.

A few minutes ago I returned an e-mail to a Digester who refuses to
"come out of the closet" on the Digest itself. He'd had the trouble of
gas in the oil. Had the Spica unit rebuilt by a mechanic and when they
went to test the car, the belt broke.

Before you say it, I'll say it for you. Yes, I'm a strong believer in
preventative maintenance. I preach it to all the clients whose cars I've

restored. On the other hand I had the same, gas into the oil happen to
me on my (former) Alfa's Spica unit. It was maintained by the book,
filter and all.

Back to the other story, did the mechanic replace the old belt? If not,
why not?

Bottom line, I agree with you completely on preventative maintenance. I
agree with you completely that a well maintained Spica unit has many
advantages over a set of Webers.

However, I'll stick to the concept, until my dying day, there are
considerably more
POTENTIAL problem areas with Spicas, no matter how well maintained, than
with Webers.

Fred, I suspect you have intimidated many Weber advocates from staying
out of this friendly little banter. However you're in Florida, I'm in
California. I feel fairly safe.

But you want to know something? I truly respect your vast knowledge of
Alfas and that you still care about them. Still doesn't mean I have to
always agree with your conclusions though.

Biba

Oh sure, I got an answer from Freddy, but far be it for me to divulge
it's contents.