Spica vs. the Armies of Darkness

As I stated earlier, I'm a Spica lover not a fighter, but ...

>     i guess someone has to mention the negative side of Spica fuel
injection
>     systems, the experience i've had with my '74 spider:
>
>     - the Spica pump can get worn out & allow fuel to get into the engine
>       crankcase oil, requiring an expensive Spica pump rebuild

My understanding is that a well maintained Spica pump is good for 200k-300k
miles before needing a rebuild.  Mine has 190k and is still tight.  I would
guess that Webers would need at least two complete rebuilds and many more
adjustments over the same period.

>     - until getting Wes Ingrahm's helpful book there was little help
>       anywhere on how to make any sort of adjustment

Isn't searching for and discovering this kind of arcane, tribal wisdom and
its guardians one of the great things about owning a semi-exotic, vintage
car?

>     - the pump is located inconveniently under the airbox & removing the
>       airbox to get access affects the airflow when you're making
adjustments

Yes, I spend nearly 50 grueling seconds removing or replacing that airbox.
What a nuisance!  And compensating for the radical change in airflow created
by the airbox is a complete mystery to me. Somehow I manage - must be blind
luck.

>     - though i've been able to get it adjusted for the car to run well
hot,
>       starting the engine when cold (whether 70 deg or 0 degF) i never
know
>       how many attempts it will take, or how many times it'll quit before
>       i can really get going.

It seems that the reputation of the Spica system has always suffered from
improper adjustment and not from any inherent faults in its design.  The
tradition continues.

Can't we agree to stop this induction system madness?  Maybe to begin the
healing someone should compose a song along the lines of "Ebony and Ivory" -
perhaps entitled "Spica Pump and Weber Carbs."

Spica pump and Weber carbs
Are both valid intakes for Italian cars
Side by side in my Alfa parts book
Just look
Why aren't we?

(Performed by the entire AD in a choral version, with soaring solos by John
H. and Fred D.)

W.B. Peale
69 1750 Spica GT Veloce