SF Hotels and AlfaQuest USA

before people start offering me floorspace, I forgot to say that that there
are 3 of us, not just me.

I'm thinking that a hotel is an easy option - straight off the plane, into a
taxi, straight to the hotel, and crash.  no hassles.  We turn up on the 31st
of march, and will be voyaging for about a month and a half.

I would love to visit fellow digesters, and whenever I mention my trip on
the digest, I always get messages offering me meals and places to stay
(which is lovely - Im really looking forward to having my preconceptions of
the USA and its peoples - mostly gained from TV, and the odd american
tourist - swept away)

one thing that would be very nice, given that the car we will be driving is
a rather old (but apparently mechanically sound)  berlina, is perhaps to
locate a few people along my route who may be able to help me should I have
car problems.  Im confident that I can deal with most minor mechanical
problems, but being from Oz, the thought of a SPICA injection problem on
this car strikes fear into my heart.  I really wouldnt have a clue where to
start.  to be able to contact someone relatively nearby would be very cool
(even if it was so that they could post an 'SOS' on the digest for me!)

my route starts in SF, and goes down the coast to the Mexican border.  we
then head up to Las Vegas (via Death Valley - woo hoo! - ive always wanted
to go there!) then via a string of national parks to Denver, then NNW via
who knows where to Yellowstone, then up into Canada - Calgary, Banff, Lake
Louise, Vancouver.  We then head back down the coast to SF.  Once back in
SF, we are going out to Yosemite to do some rock climbing with some friends.

This is a very vague description of where (I think) we *may* be heading.
Its highly variable, depending on time, cash and, of course, the continued
health of the car.  I'm very keen to see Carlsbad Caverns, so we may make it
down into the western bit of Texas.

"The west coast, and the middle, rocky bit" is the best way I can describe
it.

if there is anyone along this way that would like a visit from a wayward
Aussie, drop me an e-mail.  If anyone has any recommendations for places to
stay and things to see and do (especially special events that might be on),
also drop me a line.

Cheers - and seeya soon!

Ben
'68 1750 GTV
'68 1300 GT Junior (well, as of Saturday!)