Re: SPICA and Weber, and Bosch

Remember that the R&T article was written in 1973, not 1979. SPICA cars
from 1971-1974 were terrific, with great power and sophistication. It was
1975 and later cars in the US that suffered gross performance degradation
from much leaner mixtures, lowered compression, much milder cams, the
awful exhaust manifold with air injection, restrictive catalytic
converters, etc.

My 1971 Spider 1750 Veloce was a much sprightlier little beast than my
'78 Spider 2000 was. I'm hoping to reclaim some of that earlier
performance with the '79, fitted with the '82 Bosch L-Jet engine setup. I
don't think the Bosch EFI has the performance potential of the early
SPICA or Weber/Dell'Orto setups, but in stock, California trim it's a
better performer than the post-'75 SPICA was.

I'm still wondering if anyone else has much experience with different cam
profiles on the Bosch EFI. I posted a note looking for cam timing specs a
week ago and have thus far received no replies. An L-Jet engine cannot
use the european 2L cams and meet emissions. I'm wonder whether anyone
has experimented with more suitable cam profiles to match with high
compression pistons on an L-Jet 2L motor. I'd love to get the same 130
bhp of that old 1750 Spider into this car... and still be legal. :)

Godfrey