Undercoating Removal

As to the question of removing the factory undercoating on a Spider to
root out rust, yes it is a very good idea.  I recently had the honor of
scraping the underside of a '81 Spider and to my great relief I found
(mostly) pristine factory black enamel.  Sound undercoating is a bear to
remove, but the project got started because any place oil soaked the
coating it had loosened to the point it could be pulled off in flakes of
two to five square inches at a time. This was mostly in the tunnel and
rear cab bulkhead area.  With either condition the method was the the
same: lying under the car on a flattened refrigerator box with an
assortment of putty knives, patiently scraping  every crevice and
surface.  We considered sandblasting the underside instead but the
logistics were daunting and in retrospect I'm glad I did what I did.
Most of the factory enamel is still there and for the few rusty spots
wire brushing, phosphate and POR treatment should do the job for the
next twenty years or so.  On top of it all we applied a coat of PPG DP
epoxy primer and will later undercoat  with Spies-Hecker undercoat.

We also messed with the tarry material applied to the inside of the cab
in order to attach a roll bar.  That stuff is solid! I wouldn't fool
with it unless I knew rust was lurking there.