Re: Rusty 105

****************
Ben Dixon writes:
somehow, the 105-coupe I reported as being discovered in a farmouse shed
has
somehow been found by another SA Alfa club member!  the dude that owns
the
car has no idea how this guy knew he had it, but since he made an offer
first, it looks like I wont be able to get it.  the bad news is, this
other
guy wants to strip it for parts!  the owner would prefer it stayed
together,
but seems set on the fact that this guy made an offer first, so he gets
the
car.

as is said, the car is rusty, but totally complete and original.  it
would
be a great shame if it ended up as a pile of parts in someones shed, or
worse, the parts sold off to the highest bidder.
***************

Don't know how it works Down-Under, but in the US, the (private) seller
would hand back the deposit, maybe say sorry, then sell it to the one
they want (most likely a higher bidder). A dealer can't (well, shouldn't
legally) do that. Take a deposit, and the dealer is  committed.

If you're truly prepared to do this, I'd sweeten the pot (meaning up
your offer) slightly, tell the farmer you'll send him progress photos
and when it's completed, come back and give him a ride in the car.

However, if it's going to go from his barn to your backyard and sit for
the next decade or so, then I'd have to say that breaking up the car so
other 105's can live would (in my opinion) be better in the long run.

Biba
Irwindale CA
AlfaCyberSite http://home.earthlink.net/~biba/
(a proud member of the Alfa Web-Ring &