Re: GTV6 window cables

At 07:07 PM 2/21/99 -0800, you wrote:
>	I was doing some tinkering on my new GTV6 today and discovered that
>the driver's side window cable has snapped  IAP only sells the cable along
>with the power window motor at a price I don't want to pay. I know there
>must be some cheap way to fix it. I couldn't see how the cable attaches to
>the motor, is it a big loop? Any tips on repairing it?

I had the same problem with my gtv6. Cable starts at the grooved drum on
the motor unit, runs around it a few times (depending on window position),
goes around the 2 window winder pulleys in the door frame and the clamp on
the lower edge of the window in between the two pulleys, and comes back to
the drum. There it goes around the rest of the groove in the drum, and ends
there.
The way I repaired it: I took the two halves of the old cable and the drum
to a watersport center, and showed them how the cable had fitted through
the holes in the drum. They made up a new cable out of 2 millimeter
stainless steel cable of the same length as the two halves of the old cable
together. This was fitted to the drum, with the ends poking through the
holes. Next, end stops (don't know the correct english word for these; they
are small pieces of copper rod with a hole through the center; cable is put
into the hole and the copper squeezed until the cable is tight in the hole)
were fitted to the cable ends. I had to cut the end stops down to get them
to clear the frame of the winder motor, and the first attempt resulted in a
cable that was just too long, but I got there in the end.
Cost? Two trips to the watersport center and (the equivalent of) a few
dollars for the cable.

Best, Jaap Bouma (Netherlands)
'87 GTV6 2.5 Grand Prix