Re: gas odor 85 Grad

> Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:41:14 -0500
> From: petrellaj <petrellaj@domain.elided>
> Subject: Gas Odor
>
> I get a very strong gas odor which seemingly comes from the trunk
area. It
> is most noticeble after a fill up. I checked the hoses and there is no

> evidence of leaks or seepage. One thing I have noticed is that the
gauge
> flucuates when cornering and it sounds as though the sending unit is
> rattling in the tank. The gauge is fairly accurate. Any ideas?
>
> John Petrella
> Atlanta, GA
> 85 Spider Graduate

Pull back the flap covering the jack and look at the fuel vapor lines
running over near the left side of the bulkhead.  You should see a small
plastic one-way valve that allows the fuel tank to take in air as the
level drops. Take it out and see if it is stuck by blowing thru it.  If
it happens to be stuck it can cause fuel vapors to vent to the trunk to
the extent that you will smell fumes in the cockpit.

Regards,

Ian