Re: alfa-digest V7 #497

> Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:28:48 -0600
> From: Scott Swanberg <sswan60@domain.elided>
> Subject: Milano vs. GTV6 1st gear/syncro - Broken?
>
> I've got my transmission apart on the table and am surprised to see a
> different 1st gear syncro than shown in my manual (my manual only has
> the GTV6 section for dismantling the transmission).  My Milano 1st gear
> syncro has some extra parts that is not shown for the GTV6.  Looking at
> the syncro from the front with the small segment at the bottom, I've got
> a 1/4 inch wide post off the syncro engagement teeth of the gear that
> the snap ring attaches to, just right of the small segment.  To the
> right of this post there is a coil spring with two square retainers on
> either end.  I've never seen notice of this difference, I'd like to see
> a picture of the proper set up of this syncro.  Can anyone refer me to
> one or email me a picture?
>
> Also the 1/4 post I referred to appears to be broken off the syncro
> engagement teeth portion of the first gear (thus my desire for a
> picture).  I've never had a problem with the operation of 1st gear so
> I'm thinking this post is not critical.  With the snap ring in place the
> broken off post stays in place and has operated fine for who knows how
> long.  Any experience with this, can I just reassemble as is or am I
> going to have to buy a new first gear, or can I get a new syncro
> engagement portion of the first gear to press on?
>
> Again I ask, please share your wisdom.
>
> Thanks
> Scott Swanberg
> '87 Milano, Platinum

The Milano 1st gear is indeed different from the one in the GTV6. I have rebuilt
10 or 12 Milano boxes in my day, and every single one has had this little segment
of the synchro mechanism broken on 1st. In every case, I have been tempted
to not replace the gear, and in every case, I succumbed to the desire to "do it
right", and replaced the gear.

Joel Hailey
Centerline Products
Boulder Co