Re: "What is the Alfasud called in the USA?"

In AR-499, John H. comments on the probable wisdom in Alfa's decesion not to
bring the Alfasud to the US, the origin of the Sud, and other cars which
predate the Sud's boxer FWD layout.

Regrettably, I must concede that John is almost certainly correct about Alfa's
decision not to import the Alfasud.  While my 83 SC coupe blended the incoming
modern chunky black plastic bumpers rather successfully into its overall
styling, I doubt they would have passed the mandatory 5 mph impact test.  And
adapting the relatively tiny boxer engine, with its elegant and free-flowing
4-2-1 manifoldless exhaust system to US smog standards would have been quite a
task, and would have undoubtedly helped to kill the distinctively raspy Sud
exhaust note.

However, had Alfa been capable of successfully adapting and marketing this
model, I think it could have provided stiff competition for the early Honda
Civics which heralded the Japanese invasion soon to follow.  The fit and finish
of my Suds was quite good, and it should be noted that early Civics were also
notorious rot-boxes.  The Japanese, of course, learned rapidly from their early
mistakes, something Alfa has not always been able to do (recent cars
notwithstanding); witness John's comments about the build quality of the 33 he
drove.  The Suds however had that blend of fun, practicality and efficient
packaging which gave the Civics their appeal, while adding (IMO) a great deal
more style and flair.

I had not meant to imply that the Alfasud layout was unique or ground-breaking
in my post.  However, I applaud Alfa's seemingly constant ability to avoid the
obvious or commonplace and choose drivetrain layouts which combine performance
with packaging, and make you wonder why few if any volume producers use them.
 I will swear that I could fit more stuff in my Suds than in my Z28, a car some
several feet longer and at least a foot wider.  I do wonder though whether any
of the cars John mentioned combined a longitudinal OHC flat-4 with inboard
brakes and front-wheel drive.

In summary, my regret is mainly that the conditions were not right for
importing the Sud, thus denying US Alfisti of another Alfa flavor to enjoy.
 However, if Alfa had ever truly been capable of making a car like the Sud
successful (and indeed profitable) in this country, I supect it would have been
at the cost of their charm and flair, denying us the enjoyment of the Alfetta,
GTV6, Milano and 164 and (hopefully) newer Alfas to be imported in the future.

Regards,

Dave J.
1982 GTV6

- --