Re: GTV6 Coolant Tank

"Todd A. Hoppens" <khoppens@domain.elided> writes:
>...  So, I thought I could buy the tanks and
> give almost everybody that needed one a chance to get one for under the
> original $100 price.   But, then I investigated the original price of the
> tanks and found out that they were originally $16!!!!  After I found out
> the original price of the tanks, I totally lost interest in buying the
> damn things.  I was really upset that the Alfa dealer was trying to take
> advantage of us Alfa owners that were in need.

I'm leaning towards Todd's side on this one. I can see pricing for the market
on major ivestments, like the cars themselves, but to do this on a few NLA parts
seems like poor business practice to me. Of course if they paid a lot themselves
or had to do a lot of work to find them, then sure, charge appropriately. But
huge markups are sure to make non-customers out of the knowledgeable.

I'm not in the business, but when I found a couple dealers willing to part with
their stale inventory for 15% of original price, I decided that I would share
the find with fellow digesti. I spent the time (lots) cataloging the parts and
marked them up just enough to make it worth my while. Everyone was very appreciative.
All the transactions were pleasant. I felt good about each sale. That's the way I
would think a business owner would want it...

- --
Colin Verrilli     Raleigh, NC     verrilli@domain.elided
'84 GTV6        '87 Milano Gold         '94 164LS Auto
(1 spare NOS GTV6 coolant tank on the shelf - I'd better lock my shop!)
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC) Treasurer
MAARC Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380
164 Home Page:    /alfa/FAQ/164
NOS Alfa Parts for sale: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380/cbvparts.htm