Re: Producing Coolant Tanks

It's funny, I thought of producing a run of these a year ago.  A friend of
mine is in the plastics business, and turned me on to several Shops in the
Mass. who could produce the part.  The tooling (making of the mold and
necessary parts to fit into the injection mold machines) was between $30,000
and $40,000.  Once you have the mold made, a minimum run was at least 1000
pieces, as I recall.  Then, I'd need to package and warehouse them until all
you guys buy them.  How many coolant bottles would I have to sell, and how
long would that take  to make that initial production cost back, even before
I'd see a return on investment?  Selling prices around $100.00 would
certainly not be ridiculous, considering the involvement.

The company in Italy with the original molds, however, is in a better
situation to reproduce them, but not until demand is greater (when more of
our bottles fail).

I will opt to make a welded aluminum bottle when mine fails.

Mark Jones,
Chevy Chase, MD