MoT

Hey; here's a silly question for the UK Alfisti;

Would someone please tell this 'Murican what a MoT is ? Is it as hideous
as a California Smog Test ?

Every month when I receive my Classic (and Thouroughly Bred) Cars mag I
wonder about this as I drool over the ads.For example: a Mk. I Sprite is
offered with a "long MoT" as part of it's allure. Why is this
commendable ?

Finally; is it just me or are the UK Car and Bike mags far superior in
most ways to anything we offer (excepting anything written by Peter
Egan) ?
(ducks head; flees from Digest)

Tim Weston
Topanga,CA.
'74 GTV (used to own British iron but "graduated" !) ducks head,
flees....