Re: GTV6 Coolant Tank

Hi Rodney,

        Yes, that was me who posted the ad for the GTV6 coolant tanks
back in the summer of '98.  I had located a stock of coolant tanks at a
out of state Alfa dealer.  There were sooooo many digesters wanting
original coolant tanks for their GTV6's that I was going to buy the whole
lot of bottles from the dealer.  They were going to sell them to me for
$80 each shipped.  I thought that I would buy them and sell them to
people who needed them for $85 shipped which would mean that I would not
be making any money but rather, helping out my fellow Alfa friends.  I
got about 12 people who were interested in buying the bottles from me,
but most of them wanted to pay less than what I was asking. At the time
the Alfa dealer that I was going to buy them from was selling the coolant
tanks for $100 plus shipping.  The only way I could get them for $80 was
to buy all that they had.  I have to admit that I really needed a coolant
tank and so did 12 other guys.  So, I thought I could buy the tanks and
give almost everybody that needed one a chance to get one for under the
original $100 price.   But, then I investigated the original price of the
tanks and found out that they were originally $16!!!!  After I found out
the original price of the tanks, I totally lost interest in buying the
damn things.  I was really upset that the Alfa dealer was trying to take
advantage of us Alfa owners that were in need.  I understand that the
tanks are no longer made and the supply and demand issue, but why do they
want to up the price so much??  I really thought that the original price
for the GTV6 coolant tank was around $65 and thought that $80 was fair
for a discontinued Alfa part that was brand new!  But, when I found out
that the original price was $16, I almost lost it!  I personaly think
this type of inflation on the original price is unfair.  Anyway, about 2
months ago I went to one of the Alfa dealers that was about 3 hours away.
 I just happened to be in the area and thought I would stop by and chat
with the guys.   I had not been to the shop many years, and asked if they
had any of the GTV6 tanks left.  They had one brand new one in stock and
sold it to me for $15 and some odd cents plus tax.  Now this is what a
HONEST Alfa dealer will do for you!! I get so sick of people telling me
that the item is discontinued and warrents the 600% mark up.  That is
total B.S., as I found a HONEST dealer that sold me my tank for the
original retail price of $16.  That was 2 months ago and they even told
me that this item had been discontinued and will not longer be available.
 This is what I call a true and honest to goodness dealer and they will
get my bussiness in near future as long as they can get the parts I need.
 So, that is why I got so angry when I saw someone post on the digest
that the tanks are still being sold for $100.  I bet it is the same place
that I was going to buy my bottles from!  HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, They cant
seem to sell them can they:)  I do not mean any disrespect to any of the
dealers that are trying to sell the coolant tanks for a 600% mark up, I
just think it is unethical and of poor bussiness.  I urge anyone who is
in need of a coolant tank to try A.P.E. for a used one or call around to
different dealers and see if they have any N.O.S of the tanks for the
original retail price.  Larry Jr. at A.P.E. is an extremly nice and
honest man and would love to help you out.  Take care and I hope this
helps clear up matters.

Thanks,

Todd  '81 GTV6