GTV-6 Dash Mat

     <krash2@domain.elided> >Subject: GTV-6 dash mat

     >I'm luck enough to have a crack-free dash, so I bought a dash mat to
     >try and help keep it that way.  It came from Pep Boys, and while I
     >can't remember the manufacturer, it's just one of the companys that
     >makes a model cut for every car model.  It was about $35.  Mine's
     >black, but I know they come in at least one other color (a truly
     >raucous red), because they ordered the wrong color the first try.
     >The problem is that the GTV-6 dash has so many hills, corners,
     >valleys, etc. that the mat won't conform to the dash's various
     >contours, like around the two sunken air vents.  I've got an idea how
     >to get around that but, due to indolence/procrastination, I haven't
     >tried it yet.  I have an old cracked dash removed from a previous
     >car, and I'm going to paint the back side of the dash mat with a
     >light coat of fiberglass resin and pin the thing down to the old dash
     >so that it hardens to the contours of the dash (without sticking to
     >the old dash). Low tech, it's true, but it might work.

     >Charlie Koster
     >1986 GTV-6
     >Kagel Canyon, CA

     Mon dieu ! But of course....La Boys Du Pep. I have once again
     overlooked the obvious. Thanks Charlie.

     Now as to how to keep the mat on the dash.......perhaps one of those
     little dogs with the bobbing heads that I so often see on the rear
     decks of other cars......stay tuned.

     Kevin Fillip
     Dallas, Texas (The State that was Once a Nation)

     '91 164
     '91 Spider
     '85 GTV-6 Soon to be Owner