Any Ideas?

I drove about 150 miles yesterday, the final! 100 non-stop. When I did
stop I went to put the gear into reverse, there was a noise and it would
not engage. I cut the engine and called the breakdown service. The car
had deposited a quantity of oil from, presumably, the gearbox, just to
the left of centre of the engine. Obviously I'll get it to the garage
ASAP but, in the mean time, dose any one have any ideas what the problem
might be? And, presuming a gearbox problem, any thoughts on where I
might obtain a Cloverleaf (different final drive ratio to non-cloverleaf
3 litre) gearbox in the UK?

John.

1994 164 Cloverleaf 24V, 106K, Warks. UK