Motronic 164 fault code.

On a friends recently acquired 164S from Chicago I received the fault code
of 1-2-2-3.  THe notes on the 164 page for that code say the lambda sensor
is reading high or low values but I guess I really don't understand what
this means but surmise something to do with the 02 senser.
The car seems to hesitate a bit and is hard to start.  Could it be the
drastic change in altitude from approximately sea level to a mile high?  I
doubt this because the motronic system should self adjust.

Thanks,

Sandro Marcantonio
1988 Milano Verde
1991 164S (mine)