Re: niche cars

In a message dated 2/18/99 8:14:45 PM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

> A Euro-certified car would still have to run its own gamut of tests to prove
> to the
>  EPA and DOT that the vehicle was acceptable by American standards, as well
> as come

Actually, right now we don't know that at all.  Since there is no Euro
equivilant the DOT/EPA is the only one setting standards.  We, the FAA,
recognize European type certification of aircraft, including Airbus jumbo
jets, there is no reason to believe that it could not also happen to cars.

Whats wrong with OBD?  Actually adds a very small amount to the cost of the
modern car.  Beats letting some inept shadetree mechanic go bumbling into your
very expensive injection system and other places they are not capable of
diagnosing, all at $50 an hour.  I recently took my 96 Mercury Cougar w/ 4.6L
V8, into the shop because the "check engine" light was on.  They hook it up
and in 5 minutes they know exactly what is wrong with it and what it will take
to fix it.  As Martha Stewart says..It's a good thing!  We get so wrapped up
in our anachronistic cars, longing for the "good old days" that the rest of
the world passes us by.  So good, you may say.  I prefer to visit the past..
not live in it.

Jerry in Houston