Re: The oil filter debate

At 10:12 AM 2/18/99 -0500, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

>I know, tons of people save a couple of bux on buying FRAM or other
>filters. I don't see the point. A factory filter costs me $12 every
>2500-3000 miles. That's 2/3 the cost of a tank of gasoline. Why skimp
>on it?

While I agree with Godfrey's economics - the cost of an oil filter
is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things - I question why
a factory filter should be any better than one from a reputable
vendor such as FRAM, WIX, Baldwin, ...  Heck, I sort of doubt that
FIAT/Alfa manufacturers its own oil filters (or much of anything
else these days) - they're probably getting them from someone who
manufactures filters in Europe under license from FRAM, stencils
the "Alfa" logo on them, and charges 3X the price that you would
pay for a good, old, 'mericun part (made in Mexico, of course)
at your local Pep Boys.

I suspect that oil filters are like brake fluid - even the cheapest
parts are pretty good for the intended service life.  It's far more
important to replace them frequently, than to buy a premium part,
and leave it in forever.

Jay Mackro