Berlina in OZ

>Thanks for all you help - it has all been very useful and it has convinced
>me to definitely buy it.

Good to hear!

>> 1. Start car in neutral, let it warm up a bit, turn it off. Then put it in
>> gear (choose right gear to suit layout of garage!) and start the car while
>> in gear: it should shake
>> and buck and hopefully the clutch will free as it starts to move.

>I read this in a magazine - when I go back with a tin of petrol and get it
>started properly, I will try it (assuming at least the handbrake works!!).

The handbrake shouldn't  be on: with it on the engine won't turn enough to
start. With it off the car will "buck" and shake as it starts to move,
initially on the starter, then as the engine fires. This is what
(hopefully!) breaks the clutch free.

Good luck!

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.