Re: alfa-digest V7 #479

On 17 Feb 99 at 22:48, : jonathan coates <alfa@domain.elided>
wrote:
> Subject: 3 litre 75 test drive
>
> Today I had a drive in a 3 litre 75, which I suppose is the equivalent
> to the USA Verde. The car had rubbish tyres on it, so would spin the
> rears without trying. My short drive on a twisty road had me wondering
> "should it do this?"

You know you want to ;-)

> The back seemed to step out under application of power, rather like my
> twinspark but much more easily. With the bigger engine car the back
> stepped out a little, then stayed out a little. By this I mean that the
> car changed slip angle from one value to another, unlike the twinspark
> which has varying amounts of oversteer dependant on power output. Is
> this the LSD working? Should it do this?

The LSD is normaly of the 'slippy' variety, particularly on older
cars where the LSD clutches will have worn. I find on mine that there
is a small 'ish' increase in turn in on applying power (oversteer)
but a real boot of the throttle on a slippery roads  (read wet car
park) will light up both rears and can easily switch to pirouette
mode. I'm running with 205/50 15 Falkens and I find the levels of
grip are excelent, a lot better than the Goodyear NCT's they
replaced.

I recently had a Harvey Bailey handling kit fitted to my 75, to
complement the Bilsten shocks previously fitted. So far I am
very impressed with it. (Although as I posted previously the old
springs were rather tired) There is noticeably less roll in
cornering, and the rear is much better located than before. The car
feels to be much more in contact with the road than before and the
ride, while harsher, isn't making me avoid potholed roads for fear
of visiting the dentist!

Cornering forces must be up, as the cardboard box in the boot (trunk)
that I keep a some tolls, oil etc keeps falling over so I need a
re-think there. :-)

Looking forwards to the spring when I can head out to the tracks.

Ivan (ivan@domain.elided)
Leamington, UK
Alfa 75 3.0V6 America