Re: Brake dust & Newly painted wheels

Jim,

I have no personal experience with brake dust shields (I assume this is what
you are referring to).  However, I have heard a number of people say that they
restrict the flow of cooling air to the disc and can result in overheated
brakes, perhaps even warped rotors.  The heat can also melt the shields if they
are plastic.  Not sure if this dependent on the design, so maybe someone else
can comment on problems specific to the 164.  I see someone else has already
mentioned the alternative fix of using a pad material less prone to dusting.
 Typically serious race pads dust pretty badly, street pads less so.  See if
you can get recommendations for a brand that works well for your 164.  I
believe the dust can be corrosive to alloy wheels, so it pays to keep them
clean.

Dave J.
1982 GTV6

On Feb 17,  2:41pm, Jim Aitken wrote:

> Just bead blasted and refinished the wheels on my 91 164L. Had lots of
> brake dust build up and corrosion on the wheels that I just couldn't
> clean off.  Has anyone tried those vented disks that fit inside the
> wheel to keep dust off the front side?  Do they work? Any

- --