Q: Used Engine

I'm looking at purchasing a used 1750 with spica for my Duetto Jr., I
suppose that would almost make it a Sr., but the engine isn't in a car
right now. The owner says its a low mileage rebuild and I don't have any
reason to disbelieve, but how do you check out an engine that can't be
run? Is there a way to do a leakdown compression test? There isn't any
starter either so how would you pressurize the engine?

The price would be okay for just a rebuildable motor but it would be
nice to drop it in and not have to then pull it out for a rebuild.

Any helpful comments on putting a 72 engine in a 69 Duetto? Other than
replumbing the fuel lines for the Spica, what else may cause me
problems? Any maintenance items I should address before putting the
engine in the car?

Thanks,
Mitch Wolberg
69 Duetto Jr., about to finally grow up.