164 Terminal Velocity

In AD #465, John Hertzman wrote:

>Just to keep things in perspective, the top speed Fusi gives for the 33
>Stradale, (slippery 'looking', if not actually slippery, and with rather
>modest frontal area) with 263 hp (SAE) is 161 mph, not much better than a
>Texas 'S'.

If the 33 reaches 161 MPH on 263 HP, then it will use 172 HP to reach a
speed of 140 MPH.  I would actually expect a 164 to have a lower drag
coefficient than the 33 Stradale, since the 33 likely generates a great
deal of (negative) lift--more than a 164, anyway.  John didn't mention what
the peak HP was for the 164 S model, but my simulation shows something
around 212 at 6,200 RPM.  So, I would certainly bet that the 164 can exceed
140 MPH, and would likely hit the rev limiter before reaching terminal
speed.

Okay John, here's a real challenge for your archives.  Can you scare up the
drag coefficient and frontal or reference area of the 164?  If you can do
that, and then fax me the power curves for the two models, I can figure out
the cars' absolute terminal speeds, if we were to install the proper
gearing.

Rich
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco  (which barely tags 100 on the back straight at Stapleton)