Lesson learned - use fresh donuts.

Well, I learned a lesson the hard way, so I thought I'd pass along my
knowledge.

A few weeks ago a front donut on my GTV6 gave up the ghost.  Usual
vibration, no big deal.  I pulled it out and foolishly replaced it with a
used donut I had picked up from a salvaged vehicle about a year ago.  It
looked fine, no cracks or visible wear.  Thought I was smart for saving
$75.

Then last night, during a high speed on-ramp manuever, the front donut let
go at around 6000 RPM.  We ventured beyond the usual vibration on this one.
After the explosion, I glanced in the mirror and saw rubber and metal
flying everywhere.  The driveshaft completely disengaged from the engine.

After a flatbed home, I got under the car and assessed the damage.  1/2 the
donut, 3 of the bolts, nuts, washers, most of the driveshaft fitting which
attaches to the donut, a chunk of my bellhousing and a good deal of
undercoating were all gone.  Luckily I have all parts to fix it and a NEW
donut is going in tonight.

Morale... Use new donuts, even if they look o.k.

Steve Hoffins

'91 Spider Veloce
'83 GTV6
'95 VW Eurovan Camper (only drivable car in the fleet today)